Note: The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. You may view our current offers here.
Disclosure: Basic Travel Couple, LLC has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Basic Travel Couple, LLC and CardRatings and MileValue may receive a commission from card issuers. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Grocery expenses have skyrocketed for most families across the United States. With any expense, I am always looking for strategies to cut costs and save money. Many of these tips can be used right from your couch! Without further ado, here are my Top 5 Favorite ways to save and earn back on groceries!
Join Our Basic Travel Facebook Group to Stay in the Loop on the Latest Travel & Finance News!
Grocery Bonus Promotions on Credit Cards
These are HUGE and have been popping up across all major Credit Card Issuers over the last few weeks. Offers include options for both earning Points & Miles, as well as Cashback. Here are some of my favorite options for earning on groceries!
- Chase Freedom Flex – Earn 5X Ultimate Rewards Points or 5% Cashback from April 1st through June 30th, 2021. This promotion is capped at $1,500 in combined purchases.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – Earn 5X Ultimate Rewards Points or 5% Cashback from May 1st through June 30th, 2020. This promotion is capped at $1,500 in combined purchases per month.
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy – Earn 6X Bonvoy Points from May 1st through July 31st, 2020. This promotion is capped at $5,000 in combined purchases.
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card and Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card – Earn 12X Hilton Honors Points from May 1st through July 31st, 2020. There is no cap on earning.
- For the Aspire Card, the $250 Resort Credit can be used towards Takeout/Delivery Charges. Only eligible purchases made between June 1st and August 31st, 2020 will be counted.
- All information about Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card has been collected independently by basictravelcouple.com
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card – Earn 6X Bonvoy Points from May 1st through July 31st, 2020. This promotion is capped at $7,500 in combined purchases.
- For the Brilliant Card, the $300 Marriott Credit can be used towards Takeout/Delivery Charges. Only eligible purchases made between June 1st and August 31st, 2020 will be counted.
Earn 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy points once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. This card is great for maximizing your value on Marriott Bonvoy properties. Some of our favorite features include:
- Earn 6 points per dollar at participating Marriott Hotels, 3 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants and flights booked directly with airlines, and 2x points per dollar on all other purchases.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of card membership for eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- $450 Annual Fee (Rates & Fees)
- Terms Apply.
- Learn More Here.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card, Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, & Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card – Earn 4X SkyMiles from May 1st through July 31st, 2020. There is no cap on earning.
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 of eligible purchases on the card within your first 3 months.
- 3x on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- 2x at restaurants worldwide
- 1x on all other eligible purchases.
- First checked bag free on Delta Flights
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your card. *Payment of government-imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required.
- $250 Annual Fee (Rates & Fees)
- Terms Apply.
- Learn More Here.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express– Earn 6% Cashback on up to $6,000 in combined purchases. Earn 1% after the limit is reached.
Cashback Portals & Gift Cards
Take a look at the various portals out there before making purchases. Sometimes it’s possible to stack offers on purchases. For example, by using the Top Cashback Portal, I can purchase a Walmart Gift Card for 10% off by clicking through to Raise. Raise offers gift cards for all sorts of Grocery Stores including Walmart, Tops, Wegmans, Whole Foods, and many restaurants throughout the United States. Cashbackmonitor is one of my favorite sites for reviewing current percentages of Cashback!
Coupons. (Yes I said Coupons!)
Call me old-fashioned, but coupons can save you some serious cash money. Especially now, when every dollar counts. I like to take a look at Coupons.com, my local grocery store websites, and then scan my receipts with Ibotta. You will be surprised to see how quickly the savings add up!
Opening a New Credit Card
Now hear me out, opening a credit card right now may seem like a crazy idea right now. However, it’s important to know that there are many of them that come with No Annual Fee and an Introductory 0% No Interest Period. On top of that, a handful of the Top Credit Card Offers even throw in a cash bonus for opening and spending a certain amount within a set time period. If you’re in a position to open one and have the Credit Score to back it up, I’d suggest taking a hard look at the Current Offers.
Click Here to Check Out the Top Credit Card Offers of This Month!
Try Sam’s Club for Free
Right now, it’s possible to get a Free 12 Month membership to Sam’s Club. This promotion is for new members only. To sweeten the deal, the Dosh Cash Back App is throwing an additional $10 if you use a connected Credit or Debit Card to Sign up for the Membership. Basically, you can get paid $10 to Shop at Sam’s. You may even be able to stack the $10 promotion with one of the Credit Cards listed above to earn bonus Points, Miles, & Cashback!
Click Here to Learn More About the Sam’s Club Promotion
More Basic Reading
- Five Strategies to Boost Your Credit Score
- Credit Scores 101 (A Basic Breakdown)
- Guide to 0% APR Credit Card Offers – How they Work?
- Top Credit Card Offers This Month
- Our Top Strategies for Subsidizing Travel Expenses (Free eBook)
Basic Travel Couple, LLC has partnered with CardRatings and MileValue.com for our coverage of credit card products and may receive a commission from card issuers. Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
The comments section below responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.