Disclosure: Basic Travel Couple, LLC has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Basic Travel Couple, LLC and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
We all know now that Social Distancing is the Number One Strategy to flatten the curve and protect our loved ones. Remaining home for an extended period of time can certainly be a challenge when we’re used to a much faster everyday pace. I hope that this guide can help you pass the time with all of our basic things to do!
Join Our Basic Travel Facebook Group to Stay in the Loop on changes taking place due to the Corona Virus
First, if you’re healthy!
Consider donating Blood or Volunteering in your city or hometown. In my hometown of Buffalo NY, Blood Supplies were very low. Despite my apprehension towards needles, I got out there and donated. You can find local blood donation centers via the Red Cross by clicking HERE.
I’ve seen calls for Volunteers to that are healthy and have access to a vehicle to signup to help out their neighbors. Major cities are posting the Volunteer Signup Forms on their local websites. For Buffalo NY, you’ll find the form by clicking HERE.
Learn Something New
Free Code Camp posted links to 450 Ivy League Courses that anyone can take for FREE! These courses span across many subjects including Business, Computer Science, and Health & Medicine. You’ll find all of the links by clicking HERE.
Travel From Home
There are tons of opportunities to go on a virtual tour of different parks and places throughout the world! Here are some of my favorites:
- Temples, Parks, 2,500 Museums and More through Google Arts & Culture
- See Yellowstone Park HERE
- Join the Cincinnati Zoo Live at 3pm EDT where we will highlight one of our amazing animals and include an activity you can do from home. All videos are posted HERE daily!
- Visit the San Diego Zoo’s Baboons, Penguins, and Pandas via any of their Live Cams HERE
- Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium via their Live Cams HERE
- See Pearl Harbor and Volcano National Park through Google Earth
- Tour Blarney Castle in Ireland (Happy St. Patricks Day!)
Read Something New (or old)
I picked up The Happiness of Pursuit which has been pretty interesting so far. Here are some other Basic Fan Favorites.
- Anything that was written by Malcolm Gladwell
- Musashi (If you’re considering visiting Japan or into epic stories)
- How to Travel the World on $50 a day
- How NOT to Travel the World
- The worlds cheapest destinations
- Any lonely planet travel guide. Love those!
- Tim Ferris Books – They are all good!
- List of the Top Books of All Time
Watch Something New (Or Old)
Watch Something on one of the many streaming services out there! Some of my Basic favorites are Below!
- Westworld (Season 3 Just Started)
- Breaking Bad (Classic)
- The Office (For a good laugh)
- This is us (To cry)
- Homeland (Suspense)
- The Affair (Crazy storyline)
- Love is blind (Amusing???)
- The Outsider (So you don’t go to sleep)
- Game of Thrones (Has anyone not seen it?!)
- Top Television Shows Of All Time HERE
Listen to a Podcast!
There are so many good ones out there. Here are some of my Favorites!
- Guys telling stories
- Listen to the Aruba episode that Basic Travel was featured on!
- Stuff you should know
- Tim Ferris (Google the top ones to listen too–Some of them are very powerful)
- Jocko Podcast (Google top ones too)
- Gary Vee
- The Daily
- Time’s List Of the Best Podcast to Listen Too
And Some Basic Travel Suggestions
- Download the Basic Travel Free eBook. Read through it and ask questions. This is a great time to dig into #travelhacking and make a plan for after the virus subsides.
- Review your Credit Card Tracking Spreadsheet. Double-check annual fees, dates to spend by for a signup bonus, last time you used a card (buy a coffee so they don’t close it due to inactivity), shortlist of cards that you’re considering opening in the future.
- Read some trip review articles on the website for inspiration. There are a ton that breakdown points and miles used to travel around the world.
- Make a bucket-list (or review) of destinations, events, and activities that you want to do! Bonus points for a vision board.
- Write an article! We’re always looking to feature basic travelers on the website. Examples of articles we’re looking for: Trip reviews using points and miles / Reviews of lounges, hotels, and premium flights / Destination guides/top things to do / How to spend a day in “X” place
I hope that you’ve enjoyed reading my article on ways to make the most of our newfound time while practicing social distancing and remaining home. There are probably hundreds of other things that I could add to this list. If you have any recommendations or feedback, I’d love to hear down below in the comments or in our Basic Travel Facebook Community!
More Basic Reading
- Our Top Strategies for Cutting Travel Costs (Free Ebook)
- The Best Credit Card Offers This Month
- Basic Guide to Balance Transfer Credit Cards
- The Top Bank Account Bonus Offers This Month
Disclosure: Basic Travel Couple, LLC has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Basic Travel Couple, LLC and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.