Disclosure: Basic Travel Couple, LLC has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Basic Travel Couple, LLC and CardRatings and MileValue may receive a commission from card issuers. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
American Express has changed the name of the game over the years with its premium credit cards. Raising the annual fees and adding credits is a delicate art to make a card worth investing into for a consumer. A new wave of changes is now coming to the American Express Business Platinum Credit Card including more credits and an increase to the annual fee. Learn what’s changed and how I feel about it in this basic breakdown!
Join Our Basic Travel Facebook Group to Stay in the Loop on the Latest Travel & Finance News!
Changes to the Amex Business Platinum Card
Amex Business Platinum New Credits
Dell – Increase from $200 to $400 in statement credits ($200 semi-annually)
Wireless – $120 towards US-based Celluar Providers ($10 per month)
Indeed – $360 in statement credits ($90 per quarter)
Adobe – $150 in statement credits
Clear – $179 statement credits to cover an annual membership (Expedited Airport Screening)
Amex Business Platinum Old Credits/Perks
Airline Incidentals – $200 towards one airline of choice
TSA Pre/Global Entry – $100 Towards an Expedited Airport Screening Membership
Centurion Lounge Access
35% Membership Rewards Back when using points to pay for flights through the travel portal
Earning Membership Rewards Points with the Amex Business Platinum
5X Points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
1.5x Membership Rewards points (Up to $2 Million per Calendar Year) earned on purchases at:
- Electronics goods, retailers, software, and cloud service providers
- Construction materials and hardware supplies
- Shipping providers
Earn 1.5x points earned on large purchases over $5,000
Earn 1X on everything else
The Amex Business Platinum annual fee will be increasing from $595 to $695 in January 2022
If you’re new to the American Express Business Platinum world, the welcome offer has consistently hovered at 100,000 Membership Rewards Points & above.
Earn 125,000 membership rewards once you spend $15,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. One of our favorite flexible spending cards that give global access to American Express Global Lounge Collection®, including our favorite- the Centurion Lounge Collection such as JFK Centurion.
- 5x MR points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
- Earn 1.5x Membership Rewards Points on eligible purchases in key business categories that include construction materials, hardware suppliers, electronic goods, and shipping providers
- Enroll to get up to $400 in statement credits annually by getting up to $200 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Enrollment required.
- Wireless credit: up to $120 annual statement credits for purchases made directly from any US wireless telephone provider, up to $10 per month.
- $595 Annual Fee. ($695 if application is received on or after 1/13/2022 (Rates & Fees).
- Terms Apply.
- Learn More Here.
Is this a credit card or a coupon book? Just kidding, but there are a ton of different credits that really bring value to the Amex Business Platinum Card. I personally see value here with the changes which make this card a keeper despite the annual fee increase. The $400 in Dell, $120 in Wireless, and $200 in Airline Incidentals give me $720 back per year alone. That’s not including all of the other credits that I certainly could find value from!
What do you think of the new American Express Business Platinum Changes?
I’d love to hear down in the comments below or over in our 6,300+ Member Basic Travel Facebook Group!
More Basic Reading
- Top Credit Cards of the Month
- Learn how to utilize credit card points with our Basic Travel Course
- How to book an Overwater Bungalow at the Conrad Maldives for cheap!
- Seven Steps to utilize credit card reward points to Save Money
- 16 Side Hustles that can Qualify for a Small Business Credit Card
- Step-by-Step Guide to Completing a Small Business Credit Card Application
Basic Travel Couple, LLC has partnered with CardRatings and MileValue.com for our coverage of credit card products and may receive a commission from card issuers. Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
The comments section below responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.